Tuesday, July 04, 2006

An Independence Day run

Yesterday was a day off from running and we took Spencer to see her first movie, Cars. It was cute, but I thought a bit long for a kid's movie. She got a little squirmy about half way through (too much dialogue, not enough action), but some candy to the rescue and she was good for the rest of the show. I think her opinion would be...too much yakin', not enough action! :-) She did say she wanted to see the car show again, so when it comes out on video, I'm sure she'll be getting a copy. All in all she did awesome for her first movie!

Today, we went to the mall and played in the little play area they have. Whew, after chasing Spencer around, I don't know that I'll need to run! She has absolutely no fear. There is a 'big big bear' that she likes to climb, unassisted, of course! It's over 6 feet tall and made of some sort of rubber/plastic so her little fingers and toes grip the surface quite well. She climbs all the way up and sits on his head. Then she waits for either Rob or Susie to catch her as she slides off the back of the bear's head. She must have done this routine at least a dozen times. She's an amazing bundle of energy. Too bad we can't bottle some of that! After a good time running wild, we headed home for lunch and a nap. Okay, a nap for Spencer, but a run for me.

I ate some lunch with Spencer and then waited until she was down for her nap (about an hour) before I took off running. I did the same route, but instead of doing the whole trail, I turned around at the 1.5 mile point. It was slightly cooler today, but still unbelievably humid. I like the trail, it's got a few uphill sections (some quite long) and some of it is shaded. It's a lot better than road running, as I've mentioned before, just due to the change in scenery and such. So, 3 miles on trail, 2 plus miles round trip, for a total of just over 5 miles in about 57 minutes. Not too bad. Maybe I'm getting used to this humidity thing....hahahahaha! I think it really helped to eat something and carry gatorade instead of water. Three cheers for electrolytes!!!

No comments: