Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Sadness

My friend Tina had to put her sweet dog, Angel, to sleep this weekend. Angel had been battling cancer, and the horrible cancer finally won. There are people in this world who seem to always know the right thing to say, even at times of great loss. I am not one of those people. I get tongue tied. I never know if I should talk about it, should I ask questions? Do I just offer condolences? What is the right thing to do? Sigh.

Part of the problem too, is that facing mortality is just hard. My dog, Bam, is my only child. Someday I too will have to face the hardest choice. I tell myself that it is a long way away, but we never really know, do we? I think it's best to spoil her rotten for as long as I possibly can. I will give her treats everyday. I will let her up on the bed with me for a bit in the morning before going to work. And I will love her to bits...even if she growls when I squeeze her tight.

Quote of the day:

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself."
-- Josh Billings

No comments: