Thursday, June 15, 2006

Another sad story

So, I had a talk with my friend/former boss today. When I first started the job I'm currently at, I dog sat for him and just loved it. He had two Malamutes, Buddy and Hot Stuff. Buddy passed away, I think year before last. Well, I just found out that Hot Stuff died this weekend. I was shocked! She was a great dog - not quite 100 pounds, a huge, fluffy baby. She would roll over to have her tummy rubbed and looked like a bear rug. She would steal things off the counter...mostly things like bagels, chicken legs, any food she could get her paws on. And she loved to give kisses. She would lick my hand, my arms, my face.

Don said she had an undetected tumor in her heart. She got too excited the other night, which caused her heart rate to increase and the tumor ruptured. The blood then was trapped around her heart, which constricts the heart and doesn't allow it to pump. He said he woke up in the middle of the night on Friday and when she wasn't by his side (as she always was), he went to look for her and when he found her in the yard, she was already gone. How horrible that must have been for him. I don't think I could have held it together as well as he did when he was telling me. The vet told him that this particular type of tumor grows very fast, and even if she had been showing symptoms, she would have only lasted a couple of weeks longer. Poor girl.

I don't care what anyone else says, dogs are members of the family and it's agonizing when they are gone.

Here's to you, Hot Stuff. You were a great dog and you will be greatly missed.

Quote of the day: "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

No comments: