Thursday, April 10, 2008

A few minutes makes all the difference

Just a thought I had on the way home.

Several things came up towards the end of the day and I ended up leaving work later than usual. As I approached the Marsh Road exit off 101, traffic came to a halt. I was in the carpool lane on my bike and scooted, okay 'shared', between the lanes to make some forward progress. Soon I smelled and could see smoke. Then I see a police officer making a bee line for the left side of the road and all the cars start pushing their way right. I slithered through the traffic and saw 3 cars pulled off the right side of 101 and 2 cars pretty smashed up on the left side of 101. One of them was on fire. If I had left at my usual time I could have been right in the middle of that. And on a bike a smash up like that would have been really bad news.

Now, that's not to say that I *would* have been caught up in it. But I *would* have been in the carpool lane (where the burning car was), and I *probably* (cough, cough) would have been going fast enough to make a quick stop very difficult.

So, all I'm saying is....it made me think about what a difference a few minutes can make.

No comments: