Saturday, October 14, 2006

Last run/Kickin' ass


Today was our last coach's run. It was at the San Leandro marina and was supposed to be mapped out at 4-6 miles. We were also going to pick up our info packets for the marathon and get the spiel from Coach and Mama Lisa about what to do/not do/expect at the event.

Tina and I are both sick but we toughed it out and showed up for our last TNT organized run. We arrived sporting our new sweatshirts from our Cafe Press store to do some shameless self-promotion. Great idea! Several people mentioned how nice they were and that they would order stuff. We'll see if it pans out.

So I think Coach is trying to instill in us that it's too late to worry about training now and that anything we do or don't do in this last week is going to have no impact on our marathon. The course he mapped out was only a 5k (3.1 miles) instead of the scheduled 4-6.

Tina must have eaten her wheaties because she set a blistering pace. It was all I could do to keep up, while snorting and spitting my entire sinus cavity off the side of the road. (Eww, that may be a bit graphic. Maybe I should rate this post a pg-13.) Just over a 5k in barely over 30 minutes. According to T, a 9.4 min/mile pace.

We didn't end up hanging out for the talks since we had both heard them before but instead headed home for a hot shower and a nap.

I also had a women's self defense course today. It was pretty cool. They taught a method called Krav Maga. It's a fighting style used by the Israeli defense force. We learned some basic moves for blocking and some basic kicks and punches. They offer a free one week trial of the courses and I think I'll check it out after the marathon is behind me. It was a great workout and I'm sure it wasn't as intense as the actual classes. Worth checking out for a free week, I think. When I left I felt like I could kick some serious ass. However as soon as I got home Jeff injected some reality into that theory. I mean the moves are easy enough to do against another woman (in class) who's not really threatening you, but against a strong guy who's also not really threatening you let alone a strong guy who is....hmmmm, more classes are definitely in order.

No comments: