Sunday, February 24, 2008

Too little time, too many events?

I've been trying and trying to figure out how to fit in training for the Cinderella bike ride (65 miles) on April 8th, the Flying Pig run (13.1 miles), and the Uvas Triathlon (3/4 mile swim, 16 mile bike, 5 mile run) on May 18th. What do I concentrate on? I feel like, as the first event coming up, and my weakest, I have to spend quite a bit of time in the saddle of my bike. But then again, I've been in the pool only once this year. And I haven't run more than 5 miles since the Surf City half.

Well, at least pilates is over so that frees up my Tuesday and Thursday mornings. We still have training with Elena on Monday and Wednesday morning tho. Well, I do need some weight training anyway, so I guess that fits into a training schedule. Altho, come to think of it, most of the tri training schedules I've seen don't include weight training. Hmmm.

Anyway with all the different sports I need to squeeze in, what should take priority? And how much of a priority? What do I sacrifice to fit everything else in? Work? Riiight. So I've decided for the Flying Pig, I'm not going to try to squeeze in the speed work, just try to keep building some mileage. I'm going to try to make the Pig a 'fun' run instead of a pursuit for a PR. I'm going to hang out with my brother the whole way, as long as he'll hang with me. After all, how often am I going to have a chance to run a 1/2 marathon with my brother? And of course, it's extra special because it's his first half! The way he's going with his training tho, he might just leave me in the dust.

I still need to do some running training tho, maybe just not as much. I've been running with Jeff some, but his pace isn't quite up to mine yet, so I'll need to get some leg time of my own in at some point. I *should* start my training for the Pig 1/2 this week, but may shorten the training time for that one in order to get some more saddle time in.

I did a 5 mile run with T, Bam and Teva on Thursday evening. Took Friday off completely. Saturday Jeff and I took our bikes out for what I had hoped would be a 20-25 mile ride, but we ended up shortening it to 16. Jeff was having saddle *issues* and the on/off rain drops and wind were making for a tough ride anyway. I noticed my higher gears were clicking, not shifting smoothly, so I dropped Ruby off for another free tune-up. Sunday I was hoping to get a 6-mile run in, but did a training run with Jeff instead. He was to run 40-45 minutes straight. It started off okay, but his back was quickly acting up, so it ended up being a slow tortuous run for him.

I'm going to try to work up a training plan this week and see where I can squeeze in biking, running, swimming, more biking and more running. Yikes.

No comments: