Sunday, March 04, 2007

Running dog

Tina and I went out to do the Sunol run today. I wasn't sure if I should bring Bam, as it's almost 6 miles and lots of hills. But she did fine after we ran Garin on Friday. Granted, that was 'only' 3-1/4 miles or so, and we did the flatter of the two runs, but still seemingly no ill effects. She may be a little stiffer getting up after lying down for a while, but then again that may be my hypochondriac tendencies coming out again. So I dragged her along to really test out her non-arthritic joints.

We headed for Sunol about 8:00 and I must say that even tho it felt cool, it was about 20 degrees warmer than the time we were out there this winter, so I didn't complain too much. The biggest problem this time was the mud. We had quite a bit of rain earlier in the week and some parts of the trail were quite soggy. Also, the horses and cows leave BIG hoof marks in the mud which are real ankle hazards.

Oh, and about those cows. I think they remembered us from last time when Teva and Bam chased after them. As soon as they spotted us, this HUGE cow started giving us the evil eye. Then she started coming towards us. Bam was freaked, and I'll admit it, so was I. Tina wasn't scared tho, she yelled at those cows and man did they respect her. They trotted off in the other direction and didn't bother us again.

All three of us managed to come through the run injury free which is always a good thing. And a bit surprising too with all the pot hole dodging we had to do. It was about 1:38 for the almost 6 mile run. Slow for road running, yes, but not bad for a muddy, hilly trail. Next up for contemplation....a 20k trail run. To sign up or not to sign up? That's a looooooong way and about 2000 feet of elevation. Yikes.

Oh, yeah, Bam hasn't shown too many ill effects from the run so far. Mostly a wee bit stiff in the knees and tired. Hmmm, are those Bam's symptoms or my own?? :-)

No comments: