Thursday, January 05, 2012

inside voice

I'm sure any of you who have been around kids at all have heard the 'inside voice' phrase.  I'm talking about the *other* inside voice.  Or voices.  The ones inside that talk to you.  And yes, sometimes tell lies.

Since I started back with tri training, I've been doing all my training sans music.  Instead I'm trying to listen to my inside voice.  I had a "no brainer" kind of thought as the year was starting.  You know those workouts that are supposed to be at 'easy' pace, just cruising?  Yeah, I never really thought about it before, but those workouts are *ideal* for working on form.  Not just swimming/biking/running easy and mindless and chilling out to music.  Those workouts are the best time to really think about how the workout feels, how the body is doing, work on form.

So I'm trying to stay in the moment.  Checking in on myself.  Dialing in nutrition on a schedule.  Working on recognizing the negative voices for what they are....simply thoughts.  They too shall pass.

Of course, I reserve the right to plug my headphones back in when the swim/bike/run gets up to epic IM proportions.

No comments: