Friday, May 22, 2009

Tough week

Quick update.  Suffice it to say it's been a tough week, both at work and on the workout front. The company I work for is presenting at a big oncology meeting next week and I spent most of this week pulling numbers together for the posters and presentations.  Talk about pushing it to the last minute.  And I've still got a bit of work to do, as well as a 1.5 mile swim and a 6+ hr ride followed by a 30 min run.  14+ hours of workout total this week.

The good news.....Monday is a rest day.  And if I finish up my work (or squeeze it in Tuesday morning) it's a workless day too. :)

Oh, the sprint tri last weekend went ok.  Yeah, just ok.  I did good on the swim, an improvement of almost 4 minutes over last year on the same course.  I think I did better sighting, altho I still get pretty breathless at the start of these swims.  I pushed a bit harder on the bike, but didn't see a whole lot of improvement, 2 minutes better than last year.  In pushing harder tho, I had trouble with my nutrition plan.  Didn't take in nearly enough fluids, and despite knowing the advice "nothing new on race day", I tried some new nutrition that didn't work out so well.  Oh, also forgot my salt tab on the bike.  *sigh*  So, I went into the run dehydrated and under fueled and actually ran slower on this course than I did last year by a minute and a half.  Overall almost a 6 minute improvement, but a bit disappointing none the less.  I really would have liked to have done better, especially on the run.  

Gotta take the positives tho....learned something about nutrition, and still a PR on that course even though I'm distance training and not training for sprint efforts.  Keep the knowledge, leave the disappointment behind and move forward!

Happy long weekend!  Enjoy!

No comments: