Thursday, April 15, 2010

Uncertainty and clarification

This weekend is my first tri of the year.  .25 mile swim, 9 mile bike, 3 mile run.  My first sprint in almost a year. 

I have my game plan from coach, which is basically something like....1/2 a swim test followed immediately by a bike test followed immediately by a run test.  Ouch.  There may or may not have been a mention of 'red line' effort.

I have learned in the last few months that I can push myself on the run more than I ever thought possible.  I'm *this* close to dropping my 5k time under 8 min/mile.  I know, not fast for a lot of folks, but pretty damn zippy for me.  My swim is middle of the pack, I'd say.  And I've realized that it will take time and technique refinement to push me further up the line.  Luckily the swim, as you may have noticed, is short.  A mere 440.  I *should* be able to hang with the pack for that long.  And I'm ever *so* excited about that 55 degree water.  Yikes.

The biggest uncertainty is the bike.  I have been working hard to increase bike fitness so far this year.  My bike tests have shown that I'm making progress, with an increase in speed and watts.  But I'm not sure I've had a 'break through' yet on the bike.  I'm not sure I've learned how to really push myself on the bike.  I head out on a ride and think "wow, this hill/this speed/this effort level feels easier than it used to" but then some jack rabbit on a bike will still blow by me like I'm standing still.  And not even be breathing hard.  I know, I know, I shouldn't even be comparing myself to anyone else.  But still.

I have been visualizing my race for the last few nights as I've been drifting off to sleep. I am setting a positive mental picture.  Hokey?  Maybe.  But this weekend, I am going to do my very best to channel my inner Lance and hammer out an impressive (for me) bike split.

Now for a brief clarification.  I may have misled my (two or three) readers into thinking that my body fat percentage is exceptionally low.  Not so.  It's just that from where I started, it's a vast improvement.  And I'm now in the 'athletic' range, instead of the normal range, for a *ahem* practically 40 yr woman.  I still have spots (hello rear end) that I obsessively believe could stand further reduction, but other spots (goodbye bust) that are already smaller than I'd like.  So I'm at a healthy weight, a healthy body fat percentage, and I'm just going to have to figure out how to accept the bits the way they are.  

And my last topic to wrap up the week....what is UP with these coldlettes I've been having?!?!  Now, I'm not complaining too much.  If I have to be sick, than a teeny, tiny, 48-ish hour cold is not too terrible.  However this is the second week....in a row....and I'm hoping that three is *not* a charm.

Here's to a fabulous weekend and some fleet feet. Cheers.

4 comments:

Molly said...

It's ridiculous how nervous I find myself over a SPRINT (hello, did we both not just do Iron distance last year?) but I guess it's the way of things. And the 1st race of the year...there are a lot of expectations. I so want to improve on this course over last year.

Positive hats on - we're ready, we're trained, time to go have some (painful) fun! See you tomorrow!!!

Liz Waterstraat said...

You are BOTH going to have KILLER races out there! I've seen HUGE improvements in your testing this year and it will pay off. TRUST IT! And as for that jackhole who blows by you on the bike, no matter HOW fast you go they are always out there!

Jo Lynn said...

Oh boy, where do I start?
Under 8 min/miles IS zippy!!!
Your butt is NOT big. Just think about the hills you can run or bike up because of your strong behind.
Who needs boobs anyway?
Relax, enjoy yourself tomorrow (although, I'm sure you're already in bed). 55 degree water? Gah!

jennabul said...

Molly and I looked for you yesterday but to no avail. Hope you had a great race and those horrible runs out of transition didn't kill you like they killed me! The 68 degree water was fabulous, no??