Saturday, January 16, 2010

A week in bullets, random of course

  • I've survived another week of "short" workouts.  I swear, this short stuff is more painful than IM training.  I know it's good for me and will be beneficial in the long run.....but ouch.  On a positive note, I may be getting at least a little bit of my run legs back.  Then again, I'm not at all sure that I'll be "ready" for a 5k in a couple months.  Or at least not a 5k that I want to push for a PR at.  We shall see.  I've still got 3 months until my first tri, a sprint, so plenty of time for more bike torture, ahem, I mean work.
  • The last time I saw my PT we worked on some tightness in my right leg.  It was a toss up between the right leg and the left shoulder.  Um, yeah....wrong choice.  All week I had some tingly/asleep/nerve pinching kinda thing going on down my left arm.  I saw a massage therapist last night and she worked on it, but it needs quite a bit more work.  Sadly my PT is out of town until early February.  More massage may be in order to try and keep the pins and needles to a minimum until he gets back.  *sigh*  This is what my 'no-maintenace' policy has got me...well, the policy and old age.
  • Weight is stuck this week.  My system may be in shock after two weeks of healthier eating that followed the holiday binge.  Not sure.  But I definitely can't be trimming my diet much more...I'm hungry most of the time.  I eat enough to fill up, not stuffed, but then I'm usually hungry only about an hour later.  Maybe I need even *more* protein.  I'm logging my food and will probably follow up with the nutritionist in a couple more weeks.  I got a bit crabby and down this morning when the scale didn't move from where it was last week.  Then I realized that all I can do is eat well, train well, and let my body take care of the rest.  The weight will be what it will be.  And I'll keep telling myself that until it sticks.
  • Work was blissfully quiet last week.  The big bosses all come back Monday, so who knows what next week will bring.  But a week of quiet was certainly nice.
  • I had my first masters swim workout where I was forced to try butterfly.  Well, ok, not *forced*, but it was a 'non-free' workout where the lane leader got to choose the strokes and well, when they threw butterfly in there, I tried it.  Luckily it was only a 25 or a 50.  No one was brave enough to make the 75 butterfly. There was a lot of non-free work and it was exhausting but fun too.  While I'm not getting a lot of stroke help at masters, and I may not be getting any faster, I'm having fun so that's gotta be a good thing, right?
  • Still a bit tired most days.  Sleep has been a little off, but seems to be getting back on track.  Life of the party that I am I was in bed before 10 last night.  A Friday night.  Damn, it sucks getting old. ;)
  • Speaking of which....it's almost my bed time.....but it's a rest day tomorrow and I think I'll be sleeping in.  Woo hoo!

2 comments:

Molly said...

Gee, it's almost like I wrote this blog post :) Glad I'm not the only one feeling the short course training pain! Enjoy your rest day!

ShirleyPerly said...

People laugh when I tell them I'd much rather run a marathon than a 5K but it's true. Short hard-paced workouts hurt me much more than long slow easy ones.

And good for you doing the butterfly. I've tried it only once, with fins, and barely made it 25 yds.