Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Kris and Bam's wild kingdom

Bam and I hit Garin park for our Wednesday run. It's been pretty cold...for here anyway, so I waited until afternoon when I thought it looked the sunniest. Oh, and there was some work I had to finish up by noon-thirty, but I try not to let that get in the way too much. :-)

We got through the gate and started up the first hill when Bam snapped to attention. There were a bunch of cows on both sides of the trail, and some crossing the trail. I wasn't sure what would happen if Bam got close to them, but it couldn't be good and I didn't want to find out. I grabbed her collar and we quickly walked past the cows as they gave us the evil eye.

Up, up, up the big hills we went and as we were coming down the hill on the other side, Bam spied two deer. A doe and fawn were gracefully leaping away from us. Bam was amazingly good when I told her to 'leave it', she pranced a bit, but didn't run after them.

We made it almost back to the start of the trail and I thought we could use a bit more running to make up for some of the holiday eating. So we turned around and went back the way we had just come. After one wrong turn...a mere side trip....we were heading back towards the truck. As we came down the next to last hill we saw two coyotes running along. Again, Bam was amazingly well behaved and although she started to chase them several times, she never got too far away. Good girl!

I forgot both my GPS and my Nike+ chip for my Nano, so I'm guessing we did about 5-5.5 miles. A good workout.

Oh, and just in case you're getting the wrong idea, Bam wasn't a complete angel...she managed to roll in cow poop during the 2 seconds I took my eyes off of here. Doh!

No comments: