Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Foot weights

Bam and I went for our regularly scheduled Wednesday run regardless of the rain over the past few days and the cloudy, drizzly day. "How bad could it really be?" I thought. Um, yeah, bad.

We arrived at Garin and I noticed an unusual amount of debris on the paved path leading up to the off leash running area, where the hills start. Bad sign. A puddle right before the gate....another bad sign. I let Bam off leash and start up the first little baby hill. My feet are feeling strangely heavy. I look down. CAKED in mud! Did I let a little mud stop me....no way. It would just add a little more resistance, like having ankle weights.

Okay, it was pretty miserable. I had to keep shaking my feet to get the caked on mud off, and it was pretty slippery in some spots, so I had to slow down quite a bit going down hill. And I know it's hard to believe, but it's a lot more difficult to run with a pound of mud on each foot.

Also, there were cows on the path near the exit and I didn't like the way they were staring at us, so we had to make a detour on the way out. Definitely want to give those cows a wide berth. :-)

Surprisingly Bam came out of the park wet but pretty much mud free. And of course the run was no big deal for her. My shoes, on the other hand are quite a bit worse for wear.

On a positive note, I tried a suggestion made by a coworker for my Nike Plus/Nano combination. I put the sensor inside a shoe wallet instead of underneath my shoe laces and it worked like a charm! Who needs those special Nike shoes?!?! Not me!

On another positive note.....LAST DAY OF BOOTCAMP TOMORROW!! Woo Hoo!

No comments: