Thursday, May 03, 2012

< 30 days

So I'm freaking out just a little that in less than 30 days I'll be tackling the Hawaii 70.3.  I know, I know, I've done half iron races before, but for some reason this one is freaking me out.

Maybe it's because it will be my first tri of the year.  First OW swim race of the year and I jump into 1.2 miles.  In the ocean.  Without a wetsuit. 

Maybe it's because it's Hawaii, and that always feels epic. Epically hot and humid at the very least.

I am trying to take things day by day, not get too bogged down in the 'big picture'.  Well, anyway, coach says "Big Picture is Canada, Little Picture is Honu."  So I guess I'm just in the little picture window at the moment.

Training has been going well for the most part. Just trying to get nutrition dialed in, putting in the time.  I was pretty toasted at the end of last week when I wrapped up a 3 week build, with the tri-turned-du in the middle.  My last workout of that build was a 2 hour run.  I went out in the middle of the day on tired legs and was fried by the time I finished up.  And it was all of ......  82 degrees.  I was overdressed to try and simulate a hotter condition, but let's just say it was not a huge confidence builder for what I'll face in Hawaii.

One day at a time......and yes, no matter what the race brings....we'll be in Hawaii for a week (only a week?!?!) after the race.  One of my very favorite places in the world.




1 comment:

Jennifer said...

This ocean swim is probably the most incredible you'll ever do! No need to freak. Well, except for the mass swim start... but even that wasn't as bad as I'd expected. It truly is an amazing swim. The only thing I'm freaked out about is the crosswinds from Hawi... they weren't bad at all on race day last year, but pretty bad just a couple days before. Get some wind training in!