Friday, July 08, 2011

baby steps

I think I have, roughly, 5 partial posts hanging out in blogger.  I start to write, then get distracted, then start over.  Repeat.

Truth be known, there isn't a whole heck of a lot going on.  The usual, swimbikerun workeatsleep.

I did do something for the first time, at least I think its a first.  I dropped two running events off my schedule.  Okay, yes, I added a 5k next weekend, but I dropped a 5k and a 10k.  The half marathon on October 2 will be my last race of the season.  We leave for our Kona/Maui trip on October 3.  Coincidence?  I think not.  Last year when we took our Kona trip, I was in the midst of training for a half marathon.  And while it was kind of fun to run along the course on Alii drive, and use the aid stations they had set up, it was also tricky to schedule things around the fun.   The year before that our Kona trip was because I got my lottery spot and that wasn't exactly relaxing.  This year I'm going to be on island time completely.  Snorkel, stand up paddle board, maybe some diving.  Mostly a whole lotta' nothing.   Oh, except a whole lotta' cheering for all those Iron people.  Coach especially.

This week has been a step back week.  Next week jumps into the thick of HIM training.  Less than 2 months from my "A" race for the year.  Wow, how did that happen?  This has been a bit of a strange year.  I haven't made the big leaps forward that I think I made last year.   It's  a little frustrating, but at the same time, even a little progress is progress.  With the new bike, struggling with the fit a bit, some mechanical issues, and more flat tires than it seems fair of fate to throw at me, yeah, a bit frustrating.  The last piece of the fit will happen next week, then hopefully I can make my final 'adjustment' and get settled in. 

For now, I'm doing the work.  Taking baby steps forward.  Day by day.

But, I do get to race next week!  And a run race, where there is *so* much less equipment to pack up.  Woot!  Even if, as Coach so eloquently phrased it, "THIS WILL HURT".  Giddy up!

1 comment:

Molly said...

Good luck racing next week!

I'll be in the thick of IM training at Kona. I'm hoping the fact that I'm bringing 2 of my training partners and that I'll be surrounded by people working out will keep me on track.