Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Thank you ma'am, may I have another

Yes, ladies and gents, I have been getting my arse handed to me in my workouts this year.

I made the observation to Coach that "we" seem to be starting off with harder workouts than we did last year.  Less easing into it, shall we say.  Her response....basically ...."Duh." Okay, she wasn't quite so blunt, but I got the point.  Of course we're starting out with harder stuff.  I now have a couple of years with her under my belt so I get to start at square two instead of square one.  I shudder to think what square three might look like.

I'm trying to not get discouraged, especially with the bike workouts which have always been my nemesis.  I know, in my head, that the workouts are supposed to be difficult and I'm not meant to nail all of them.  But once in a while would be nice.  Of course there was the Saturday ride to which I commented, "Hmm, that seemed too easy." Just a little piece of advice from me to you.....NEVER say that to your coach.  If you do...be prepared for some suffering.  You've just thrown down the gauntlet.

On the other hand, I'm not paying a coach to hand me workouts I can sleep swim/bike/run through.  I am paying someone to kick me in the butt and challenge me.  So what am I saying?  I guess I'm telling myself to quit whining, HTFU, and learn to love the burn.  Okay, maybe love is too strong.  Appreciate may be more appropriate.

A few more tough ones this week and next week is a step back week.  With a trail run on the schedule.  So I pinged my trail run buddy, JoLynn to see if she'd be available to run with me.  With "Fun, Social, Enjoyable" on the schedule, it was a no brainer. Unfortunately she is signed up for a 9k trail run that day with another friend of hers.  Fortunately for me, the friend doesn't mind if I make myself the third wheel, and coach said okey-dokey.  9k worth of fun....yes, please, sign me up.  Hopefully we'll get some nice weather for a run in the hills!

2 comments:

Molly said...

I just posted about this on Facebook before reading this. Um, yes, this year is TOTALLY starting off harder than ever before. I shudder to think what this means for my IM build, but in the meantime I certainly know I'm getting my money's worth out of the coaching!

Jo Lynn said...

Yay! I'm looking forward to the fun "run" on the 23rd. It should be interesting, to say the least. I say this only because, you know, the foot thing. ;)