Sunday, June 20, 2010

Back to work

It seems like it's been a long time since I've had a big workout week.

I had a fairly light week going into camp, then a rest week after camp. Then I got sick and had pretty much a no workout week, although it was followed by a "race". And this week was a transition week, so a bit easier too.  I feel like I've lost a lot of ground, and need to get myself back in shape.  And yes, I know that it's necessary to take some down time once in a while.  It just seems like I've piled up a lot of down time all at once, not all intentionally, but still.  Things are about to change.

I was looking through my workouts in Training Peaks the other day and saw this "....with the Half Iron on the horizon.....".  Yikes.  I guess it really *is* on the horizon, about 2-1/2 months out.  And so my long rides and long runs will start to ramp up.  I'm hoping to be able to make the long drive out to the race site and do at least a couple of long rides on the course.  If not though, I'll at least get a course preview at the Olympic race I'm doing there in August.  My biggest worry about the event will be the heat.  I'll start trying to get my body used to it, doing my easier workouts during the middle of the day when I can.  Of course, we'd actually have to get some summer weather for that to work.  So far, altho granted tomorrow is just the first day of summer, we've had a few warm days here and there, but not a whole lot of them.

On the injury front....the hip is about.....98%.  It talks to me a little bit after running, but I see the PT/bike guy on Thursday, so hopefully he can check my bike fit and take a quick check of the hip to make sure everything is still where it should be.  The number one goal tho, is to make sure the bike is fit properly. 

A sprint race on tap for this weekend.  Goal....really push the bike.  Show myself that I can.  And that *no* my head won't actually explode......I hope.

In non-sports news.....we celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary this week. Unlike our 10th, where we took a month's vacation to some exotic locales, we didn't do much of anything for this one.  Dinner out, flowers, the standard.  I guess I could say I got myself the new bike frame for "our" anniversary present. :)

Also this week....5 years since my father was killed in an accident with a drunk driver, on Father's Day.  It's weird.  I can't say that I "miss" him, because we hadn't really been a part of each others lives for many years. But especially today, I miss the opportunities we might have had to get acquainted again.  He wasn't the best father, but he was my father, flaws and all.  It's quite possible that even if we had managed to reconnect that it wouldn't have worked out, but the regret is in not being able to find out.  PSA for the day.....don't wait until it's too late.  Give it a try, and then even if it doesn't work, at least you'll know.

And to leave things on a lighter note.....Happy first day of summer....here's to warmer weather!

3 comments:

Molly said...

At least the weather finally looks like it's going to cooperate to give you some heat training. You will be ready, for sure. Good luck this weekend!

Jo Lynn said...

For the first time in oh, about 20 years, I bought a card for my dad and called him on Father's Day. Just "giving it a chance" at the moment. Thanks!
Good luck in your sprint. Don't let your head blow up, or off, or anything like that - it would be messy! ;)

IM deeply depressed said...

I am sad that you didn't really get to know your father when you were little. He was and probably will always be..first the boy I love and then later (for a while) the man I loved. When I see his senior picture, I still see the boy I fell in love with. Even after all he put us through. Next time you are home let's have a good chat about him. Love You