Thursday, January 04, 2007

Home for the holidays


Jeff and I spent the holidays back 'home' with my family in Illinois. We've spent the last few Christmases on the farm and have been really lucky with the weather so far.....knock on wood. This year was no exception. I probably didn't even really need to bring my heavy winter coat. There were some days when it was warmer there than it was in California! Amazing.


We arrived the 23rd and had luggage issues.....it was lost....then found....of all places, on the plane! Niiiiice. At least it arrived tho. Christmas eve my brother came up from the Champaign area to the farm (about an hour's drive) with my sister-in-law and my adorable 3 year old niece. Her vocabulary has increased about 100x since my last visit over the 4th of July and once she overcame her bashfulness she was just like a chatty Cathy doll. :-) She really is a genius, I'm sure of it.


When my brother tried to explain to her that we would have to wait until after lunch, when everyone else arrived, to open presents she said "That's not a good idea." Hahahahahaha. Not afraid to say what she thinks, that's for sure!


After Christmas Jeff went home to attend to some errands and I spent a few days at Toys 'R Us, otherwise known as my brother's house. Why didn't they have toys like this when I was a kid?!?! We had picnics and played with dolls and dinosaurs and dragons and beauty parlor and Spencer basically just wore me out. Kudos to Rob and Susie who do this all the time! No wonder they are tired! Well, Susie especially since she's expecting my second niece in about 2-1/2 months! Yep, another girl. Wow, my brother is soooooo outnumbered. :-)


It was a great visit, and trying to get back into the swing of work and working out has been hell. Although I did go trail riding (bicycles) once while I was there and did a 5 mile run. Sadly, it wasn't enough to cover for all the eating I did and I've gained a few pounds. Time to go back to the gym and back to the salads. :-( Damn my love of food anyway!

No comments: