Thursday, July 19, 2007

Reflections

It's been a while since I've posted and I'll be honest. It's because I'm friggin exhausted lately. It's been a bit warm to run after work (huh, summer, imagine that), so Tina and I have been following this schedule:

M ~ get up around 5 to be at the gym by 6 to work with the trainer
T ~ get up BEFORE 5 to hit the road for a 6-8 mile run with 'speed' work
W ~ see Monday
Th ~ see Tuesday
F ~ either run or hit the gym again
Sa ~ Thank the stars a REST day!
Su ~ Long run 8-10 miles

So you can see why I might be getting a bit crabby and tired and worn out. It's all in prep for our next event, the SF 1/2 Marathon on July 29. Hello hills again. :( The actual training schedule we're following calls for rest days on Mondays and Wednesdays, but as usual we're too much over achievers to follow that advice. And now it's catching up to me. With a vengeance.

What's this have to do with reflections you ask? Well, nothing really. All that stuff is just my lack of posting excuse.

REFLECTION STARTS HERE:
I'm in a bit of a funk today, maybe not the best day to post. I've been following the story of Miles an 18 yr old cancer patient and he's run out of treatment options and is not doing well at all. What must it be like to know you probably won't make it to 19? How does he keep posting and have the energy to worry about how the readers will react to his death? He really seems quite amazing and even tho I don't know him personally, I feel like it will be a loss when his time is up.

So, I'm reflecting on 2 years. 2 years since my Dad died.....in June. 2 years since my Uncle lost his battle with Leukemia...tomorrow. 2 years older....in August. 2 years that has flown by. What have I accomplished in the last 2 years? I ask myself that question often these days. I'm not sure there are a lot of things I can put on the list. What qualifies as an achievement? What can I be proud of? What kind of 'legacy' will I leave behind? Some days the list in my head is longer than others. Today is a short list day and I'm wondering why I'm not doing more to help the environment, or the homeless, or some cause that will really make a difference in the world.

1 comment:

tina said...

You were the inspiration the first got me into TNT, and in 2 years you have pushed me to do things I never thought I could do. You have been my kick ass training buddy and my friend. I've lost count of how many races we've entered, we've gone from marathoners to triathletes... and who the hell knows what else we'll turn into. :)

And, hey, if you wanna head down to the local homeless shelter, or to clean the beaches, or wotever else the cause may be, I'm so there! :)